Things to do
Combe Martin is an ideal place for exploring North Devon. Here are just a few ideas for things to do within a few minutes of Carpenters, many of them free!
- Go for a walk along the sea cliffs of the South West Coast Path, or over the rugged and windswept Exmoor hills that inspired classic novel Lorna Doone
- Take a boat trip from Ilfracombe harbour
- Ride the famous Victorian vernicular beneath the zig-zag path linking Lynton and Lynmouth
- Visit beaches from beautiful, wide sandy Woolacombe to surfers paradise Croyde Bay. Alternatively, try and find your way to the secluded beaches of Woody Bay or Broadsands
- Go rock-pooling on Combe Martin beach
- Have a local ale at the famous Pack O'Cards Inn
- Go for a ride on the Woody Bay steam railway
- Visit the market or cinema at Barnstaple
- Look for Exmoor ponies or cheer on the local cricketers at the awe-inspiring Valley of the Rocks
- Find all the flowerpot men in nearby Berrynarbour!
- Explore the historic tin mines at Hunters Inn or within Combe Martin itself (including a mine tunnel on the beach that is only accessible at low tide)
- Spend a day with the kids at Watermouth Castle, The Big Sheep or Combe Martin Wildlife & Dinosaur Park
- If you're a kayaker or stand-up paddle boarder, paddle round to Wild Pear Beach or head to Watersmeet for some white water river action
There really is something for everyone, whatever the weather, but be aware that some places are seasonal so it's worth checking with attractions directly if there's something specific you are keen on visiting.
If you are planning more adventurous activities, do bear in mind that the weather can be changeable near the coast and on the moors so be prepared!